Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Where'd all the SMART people go...

I came the BYU-Idaho in 2006 ( don't worry i haven't been here straight for that long, I tend to take breaks from school for adventures ) and from the first day I have noticed that the people here tend to be very different from what I am used to growing up on the east coast. My first semester I was in shock when i watched all the dorm girls my age date and marry guys within 6 months of meeting them. By the the time I left on my mission i knew 1 girl from my first semester who wasn't married. I mean i went on a mission at 21, not that old. I thought on my mission I had come to terms with the BYU-Idaho life,I had decided that it wasn't my life and everyone needs different things. I felt like nothing could surprise me anymore. Well I was once again wrong.

Let me give you a little background on my student ward this semester. I am in a ward with all the dorm boys and girls. Its really interesting. I actually meet in the same place i did my first semester here. It doesn't bother me too much because I am engaged so whatever. I have one FHE brother who got home from his mission 6 weeks before school started and I knew it right away. He kept asking to give all the lessons for FHE and every time the group leader would assign someone a lesson for the next week he would tell her he could bring a back up lesson just in case. Once we overheard him asking the bishop if he could give a talk. I mean maybe that is normal?

So Sunday I wasn't feeling well so I didn't make it church. Later that afternoon Eric and I came into my apartment and my roommate Emily said she has some news for us but our other roommate Miquela wanted to make sure she was there to see our reactions. We couldn't find Miquela so I started quizzing Emily to tell me what the news was because I am a very impatient person. She just said guess who is engaged from our FHE group? I laughed and said the 18 year girl Brittney who told us on the first day that she didn't want anything but to be married. ( another story for another day) Emily to my surprise said no. It is Christian the boy who just returned home from his mission and was so eager to give the spiritual thoughts. I couldn't figure out how, I mean we saw him 3 weeks ago and he had told us he was still scared of girls. That is exactly it. He had met her 3 weeks ago. 3 WEEKS PEOPLE. I mean it takes 6 weeks to get a passport and he is engaged to some girl after only 3 WEEKS . Emily told us the details she knew, but we didn't get the whole story until Monday at FHE when I politely asked him to tell us the story. The story is they have a class together and he saw her on the first day and thought she was cute but didn't talk to her until 3 weeks ago. They then started talking on skype and before you know it they had a date. After one whole long week they told each other the big L word and after that they both knew they wanted to marry each other. So he got a ring and proposed. 3 weeks later they were engaged, planning to be married get this JULY 28. When he told me that I said " you are getting married before me and i have been engaged for 3 1/2 months, dating Eric for more than 6months before and I have known him for 6 years" He just put his head down and let out a laughing scream after i was done. The whole time I am thinking your parents must be going crazy. I know if i had done that i would have 5 sisters telling me i was crazy and that they wouldn't let me make that mistake. Her parents are the ones who proposed July 28. They are very supportive of this. He said his mother was happy but his sister thought they were crazy and should date for a year before getting engaged. He responded by saying that she wasn't active in the church so she didn't understand the whole revelation receiving a confirmation thing. I almost smacked him. Clearly he doesn't understand it either. If he was really into following what he was supposed to do he should look up some talks about dating and courtship and getting to someone before you decide to marry them for all time and eternity. Oh did I tell you she is only 19 and this is her very first semester at BYU-Idaho. In order to deal with the fact i am surrounded by crazy people i have just let it go. It is not my life. But I have learned some lessons from this whole experience. 1. I will teach my children the nature of revelation. 2. I will teach them to know someone before you commit your eternities to them. The 3rd and most important one is I WILL RAISE THEM ON THE EAST COAST.

1 comment:

  1. Bethany, I have never met you, but from reading this post I LOVE YOU! Freakin' west coast mormons....CRAZY PEOPLE! :) Its really sad because people dont like talking about it but there are a lot of divorces in the church for just this reason. Sad, but true.

    My husband and I wont be able to make it to your and Eric's wedding due to the fact that we are expecting a little one middle of July, but I really wish that I could be there, and I hope the best for you two! Eric is like a brother to me, and Im happy he found a girl who makes him as happy as you do. :)

    ReplyDelete